Sunday, October 24, 2010

Blog? What bl...ooh is that a squirrel? I'm hungry!


“Arre don’t worry! You’ll come up with something eventually…stop trying to write under the pressure of a deadline!”

That, by the way, is one of my friend’s many attempts at convincing me that the writer’s block of sorts I’m experiencing right now is nothing to worry about, and that I’ll be back at my literal best as soon as I clear my mind and stop consciously searching for a topic. Easier said than done, though.

Twenty minutes, by the watch. THAT’S how long I’ve been staring at this blank word document waiting for the rusted cogs of my mind to start turning once again…for a brilliant topic to suddenly pop into my head…for a finished, and preferably well written, article to appear in front of me. On second thoughts, if at all I was to get anything, Aladdin’s magic lamp would be good. *Mental note to God: hint hint!*

On my left, my 5-year-old neighbour is tracing my hand onto a paper. On the right, her sister and my sister are having a screaming match. My phone keeps beeping every 5 minutes with a new text for me to read, while notifications on Facebook come with an even higher frequency. I think I’m beginning to see the problem…it isn’t exactly the ideal situation for inspiration to strike, is it?

Come to think of it, isn’t this exactly the reason for lot of other things never happening as well? Distraction?

Sitting in class, we may be physically present but absorb only 25% of what’s being taught. Distracted by that friend who just passed us a note, or the one jumping up and down right outside the door trying to catch our eye, or even the one doing a sort of mad jig because a spider just dropped into her lap. Why, it doesn’t even have to be a person! Even a simple colony of ants marching up the wall or squirrel searching for food is enough to whisk us away from that boring lesson on stoichiometry.

Ever tried cleaning your room? For me it’s always remained just that: a try. Open the cupboard, and I’d invariably find that favourite shirt of mine that I haven’t worn for ages. The study table, also in on the conspiracy to keep my room dirty, would somehow manage to make me find those class 10 worksheets and throw me into another one of those i-wanna-go-back-to-10th-NOW phases. In which case, of course, I would just HAVE to call up Ishir and revisit those amazing memories of that amazing class. If, by chance, after that hour of laughing at the stupid things we had once done, I somehow remember the room I still had to clean, the next area in line would probably be the shelf below the window. That’s when my hands would fall on that blue stuffed dog that I used to play with as a kid; and how could I waste this perfect opportunity to take a trip down memory lane with my mom? The room? Completely forgotten.

It’s evil really, this distraction business. Gets you into trouble ALL. THE TIME. Sit down to do your homework…but wait! Isn’t it time for How I Met Your Mother to start? Or go till the market to get mom’s medicine…ohmygod is that a butterfly?! Let’s follow it around instead! Though you can’t blame me for that one…it was this really pretty royal blue one with green and red patterns woven into it. Reminded me of peacocks in fact. Speaking of which, I better go and stop my sister before she rips off that peacock feather off my wall hanging! It’s really special to me, that wall hanging. My best friend made it for me on my birthday.

Oh wait, didn’t I have a blog to write?

8 comments:

  1. You have a KNACK for endings, now, dont you? :)
    It's like, you nullify the entire argument that you presented by ultimately (ironically) showing that despite you KNOW the reasons, you are still a creature of habit. :) nice! i likey :)

    but seriously! the topic is GREAT! especially because you have turned the writer's block itself into food for thought.. kudos for that :)

    most of all, i love it because i can relate to it so well. :/ (not that im proud of it :P)

    anyway! my verdict=AWESOMEEEE! i love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha thankyou :)
    yeah thats sort of the point for the ending of that sort...to show that we all do this stuff ANYWAY :P

    yeah...i wasnt really expecting this to become an article you know...was just wfriting whatever came into my mind for the heck of it. but then the idea came and well, here it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! It completely distracted me from the math I was trying to do, so it really had its effects ;P

    ReplyDelete
  4. well..im tired of writin evry single time u write a blog dat how amazing it is..(i think ders no need to tell...:P)
    ditto prerna...the ending AGAIN...
    well done t....
    in suds words,u ve made us proud...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow man! This is definitely your best till now. It has so much maturity and depth, despite the language being light! Its conversational, yet not casual! Also, something that I noticed...that its short, yet cant be called superficial...so basically...Great Job. :)

    Great topic, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your insights playfully underscore a perspicacity most will never have, Taanya. I'm really glad that you're writing, and more so that you have talent! Way to go. We need a writer in the family.

    If the study of distractions interests you, wait till you live alone (which I highly recommend you do at some point in your life). Distractions will be far more self-inflicted and less subtle. For example, I find that when I have a thirty pager due in the AM, my room gets cleaned with a thoroughness unheard of in high school. ;)

    Be well and don't stop writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ashish, Vibhor: thankyouu :)

    Jutin: thanks a lot :)
    yeah im actually looking at journalism as a career...so this is good practice :P

    as for the self-inflicted distractions, I happen to already have a pretty good idea of what you're talking about...though i can imagine it increasing even more while living alone.. ;)

    ReplyDelete