Thursday, April 11, 2013

I see you standing there, cigarette in hand;
You’re smiling.
Why does it take the click of a lighter to share a laugh with a friend?
I try to take vicarious pleasure as you take a puff;
I do not understand.
Where is the joy in knowing you are turning your life into ash?
Rings of white escape your mouth;
You cough.
Can you really not live without killing yourself a little every day?
You cannot live without your cigarette;
Look beyond the smoke.
What about us, the people who can’t live without you?
I take the cigarette and stub it;
You, are looking at me.
I dare you not to take another one.
I dare you to be happy without those three inches of rolled up tobacco.
I dare you to think of those who think about you.
I dare you not to burn away your life, cigarette by cigarette, puff by puff.
I dare you to stop smoking.
I dare you, to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment